13 Nov 2020 - 23rd Black-Tie Meeting of the London Pain Forum, Carlton Club, St James'




THE XXIII BLACK-TIE MEETING of the London Pain Forum will take place at the Carlton Club, St James' Street, London on Friday, 13 November 2020.

The 185 year old club is famous for being the original home of The Conservative Party.

Baroness Susan Greenfield, CBE, FRCP (Hon) has accepted our invitation to speak on the evening about "Pain, the brain and insights from neuroscience."


REGISTRATION TO OPEN SHORTLY. WATCH THIS SPACE FOR UPDATES.

GUEST SPEAKER


Baroness Susan Greenfield, CBE, FRCP (Hon)
Member of the House of Lords
Chevalier of the Légion d'Honneur
Senior Research Fellow
Lincoln College, Oxford, UK
CEO, Neuro-bio Ltd








LPF COUNCIL 

Dr Teodor Goroszeniuk (President)
Dr Arun Bhaskar
Dr Rajesh Munglani
Dr Andrzej Krol
Dr Damien Smith


CONTINUING MEDICAL EDUCATION

*An application for 3 CPD credits will be submitted to the Royal College of Anaesthetists, London, UK


MEETING TIMETABLE

Venue: The Carlton Club, 69 St James's St, St. James's, London SW1A 1PJ

Morning Room

18.30hrs-19.00hrs: Registration/Reception

Morning Room

19.00hrs-20.00hrs: Update from LPF Council & Special Guest Lecture

Churchill Room

20.00hrs-23.30hrs: Dinner & After Dinner Discussions/Debates

CLOSE OF MEETING



DRESS CODE

Strictly Black-Tie


HISTORY OF THE CLUB


The Club was founded in 1832, following the massive reform majority in the 1831 general election, by Tory Peers, MPs and others, in order to improve the organisation and effectiveness of the Party.
On 10 March 1832, a meeting at the Thatched House tavern appointed a committee to take on and manage new premises in Carlton Terrace. The name ‘Carlton Club’ was adopted a week later.
By 1835 the club’s wealth and standing were such that it moved to specially designed premises on Pall Mall. Membership was a badge of allegiance to the Conservative Party and the Club provided the core of the party’s organisation for many decades, particularly before the foundation of Conservative Central Office.

The present address of 69 St James’s Street only became a clubhouse after the Pall Mall building was destroyed during the Second World War. Thankfully, many of the club’s most valuable portraits survived and now adorn the clubhouse walls.

The architect Thomas Hopper (1776-1856) designed the clubhouse in a restrained Palladian style, using Portland Stone. Like so many Regency buildings, the interior is dominated by an impressive stone staircase. Hopper used Greek sources for inspiration for the decoration.
Over the years, the clubhouse has been lovingly restored and maintained in a way that is deeply respectful of its heritage