THE TWENTY FIRST BLACK-TIE MEETING of the London Pain Forum took place at the Carlton Club, St James' Street, London on Friday, 12 April 2019.
The 185 year old club is famous for being the original home of The Conservative Party.
Prof Luis Garcia-Larrea, Editor in Chief of the European Journal of Pain, gave a thought provoking guest lecture on "The Construction of Pain", as well as leading the hot topics discussions around the dinner table.
Prof Luis Garcia-Larrea
Editor in Chief, European Journal of Pain
Head, Central Integration of Pain, Centre for Neuroscience of Lyon
University Hospital Pain Center (CETD)
Dr Teodor Goroszeniuk (President)
Dr Arun Bhaskar
Dr Rajesh Munglani
Dr Andrzej Krol
Dr Damien Smith
CONTINUING MEDICAL EDUCATION
*The meeting was approved for 3 CPD Credits by Royal College of Anaesthetists, London, UK
Venue: The Carlton Club, 69 St James's St, St. James's, London SW1A 1PJ
19.00hrs-20.00hrs: Update from LPF Council & Special Guest Lecture
20.00hrs-23.30hrs: Dinner & After Dinner Discussions/Debates
CLOSE OF MEETING
HISTORY OF THE CLUB
The Club was founded in 1832, following the massive reform majority in the 1831 general election, by Tory Peers, MPs and others, in order to improve the organisation and effectiveness of the Party.
On 10 March 1832, a meeting at the Thatched House tavern appointed a committee to take on and manage new premises in Carlton Terrace. The name ‘Carlton Club’ was adopted a week later.
By 1835 the club’s wealth and standing were such that it moved to specially designed premises on Pall Mall. Membership was a badge of allegiance to the Conservative Party and the Club provided the core of the party’s organisation for many decades, particularly before the foundation of Conservative Central Office.
The present address of 69 St James’s Street only became a clubhouse after the Pall Mall building was destroyed during the Second World War. Thankfully, many of the club’s most valuable portraits survived and now adorn the clubhouse walls.
The architect Thomas Hopper (1776-1856) designed the clubhouse in a restrained Palladian style, using Portland Stone. Like so many Regency buildings, the interior is dominated by an impressive stone staircase. Hopper used Greek sources for inspiration for the decoration.
Over the years, the clubhouse has been lovingly restored and maintained in a way that is deeply respectful of its heritage.